These tools provide an expanded view of a community’s or a business’ discard stream, its potential order-of-magnitude values as marketable commodities and suggest next steps toward high diversion and Zero Waste.
Their purpose is to stimulate discussion and help initiate the planning process. They are not intended to be used as formal economic analysis tools.
Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License, they can be used as is or altered without additional permission, provided the attribution is retained and credit is given to both the Zero Waste Brain Trust and Zero Waste USA. Creative Commons develops, supports, and stewards legal and technical infrastructure that maximizes digital creativity, sharing, and innovation. For more information, please visit Creative Commons.org.
Examples are available via the Toolkit Sub-menus – Community and Business
- Eight Steps To Becoming A Zero Waste Community – Introduction Long Version
- Zero Waste Pop Quiz – A quick Introduction to Zero Waste PowerPoint presentation that can be customized for your organization.
- Community Planning Checklist – An inventory of existing policies, programs and facilities and that assists in determining possible next steps
- Divertability Analysis – Provides an expanded view of a community’s discard stream
- CalRecycle Solid Waste Characterization Resources
- Commodities Market Analysis – A subset of the Divertability Analysis, this tool allows a community to assign per ton values to what they discard.
- Service Opportunities Analysis – A process which identifies service gaps and opportunities
Available on request:
- How To Become A Zero Waste Community Resource Guide, 2017
- Directory of Zero Waste Jurisdictions, Businesses and Non-Profits (incomplete example posted now)
- Speakers Connection (In progress)
The Community Toolkit was funded in part by grants from the Altamont Educational Advisory Board. In 2014, the tools were used to help develop the Castro Valley Sanitary District Zero Waste Strategic Plan and others not yet posted.
# # #