Need Help Getting Zero Waste Rolling In Your Community?
COVID 19 UPDATE: We are not traveling at this time but are willing to offer area specific on-line classes. Send us a note via the contact page if your group is interested in hosting a class or training series.
Zero Waste USA is often asked to help train advocates and grassroots groups. Occasionally, when in an area for hosted or fee-for-service trainings or conferences, we can add a grassroots event or two to our schedule. Examples include film screenings with panel discussions, short public presentations – 30 minutes to 2 hours or four or six hour introductory workshops.
With these add-ons, the grassroots host produces the event and ZWUSA simply provides a speaker or speakers and helps with scheduling and promotions. This approach allows registration fees to be low but sufficient to cover costs – including ZWUSA speaker local travel and lodging. We prefer a two-month time-line to insure high attendance. Examples: Boston Recycling Coalition (2013), Envision Frederick County, MD (2017).
In the cases in which there are no primary events to build upon or the host group seeks custom or in-depth training, the timeline and planning process is more involved. The budget must include instructor airfare as well as local travel, the venue, AV, event food, beverages, childcare… Often the registration fees will cover these costs; in some cases, the host will need to seek sponsors and grants. This can take two to 12 months to implement. Examples: Envision Frederick County, MD (2016), Hawai`i Zero Waste Alliance (2015)
|ZWUSA is pleased to announce
Giles W. and Elise G.
Here are some ways to get started:
- Read Eight Steps To Becoming A Zero Waste Community (soon to be on a web page)
- Review ZWUSA website – especially Resources, Course Descriptions and Toolkit, Board and Staff and Advisory Board
- Identify where you are in the Zero Waste trajectory – new group, ready to create a buzz, proposing policy and program initiatives, ready to prepare community plans…
- Determine training preferences and financial resources.
- Discuss all of the above with committee memebers. Determine preferences, timeline and budget.
- Use this Form to request trainings. (Being updated)
# # #